Take-a-Hike Or Ride a Bike!
January 27, 2014
Take-a-Hike is our brand new blog category for fitness and health discussions. We’ll share unique, interesting and informative information on everything from hiking supplies to the best biking trails.
Let’s jump right on in with this brief hiking supplies list:Image Credit: PrimallyInspired.com
1. Do you need a natural tick deterrent? Rose Geranium Essential Oil is a good tick repellant for animals and humans. Place it between dogs shoulder blades and the base of the tail before you go outside each day. For humans, put a drop on the inside of your wrist and behind your ears. Don’t forget to wear long sleeves, long pants and socks! Here’s a great resource for homemade bug repellent oil that are safe for children, pets and those who are sensitive to insecticides.GoFastAndLight.com
2. Do you worry about getting lost on a secluded trail? Try a bio-degradable trail-marking tape!
3. Are you prepared for wet weather? Rain gear is essential for good health and will keep you from turning back before you’re ready! When buying rain gear, breathability is a key factor for staying dry and comfortable, even if it is a little more expensive.CascadeDesigns.com
4. If you’re hiking uphill, holding on to the hiking poles AND your water bottle can be tedious. Try using a hands-free hydration system.
5. You never know when you’ll need a first aid kit! At least one person in your hiking party should be carrying a first aid kit and understand how to use it in an emergency. Be sure to include an ace bandage, thermal blanket, bandages and tape, bug sting relief, gloves, and ointment. Check out our Essentially-Eco post this month for mini-first aid kit ideas. Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog too! We’ll dive into the best practices of hiking first aid later this year.
We’d love to share information you want to see! Please post your ideas for future blog posts in the comments below.
Share your story
We are inspired by those who stay at our parks. We invite you to share your vacation stories with us.SUBMIT YOUR STORY